It seems more than a coincidence that we see today 7 major Christian fables that are destroying the church and the witness of the church, and that there are 7 dead sins that God hates. It is good to correlate the 7 Christian fables with the 7 deadly sins because we tend to think of it as just an oversight or a mistake to distort the “faith once for all delivered to the saints” (Jude 3). We can not see the falling away in America today and the destructive Christian fables because we have become over enamored with tolerance of anything, it is part of the American Democratic faith we love.
I. The 7 deadly sins.
“These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.” (Proverbs 6:16-19)
II. It is a serious matter to knowingly and willingly distort the Word of God.
1. It was so serious in the first century that the Apostle Jude stopped a treatise on salvation, the single most important subject for preachers, to “contend for the faith once for all delivered to the saints” (Jude 6)
2. God has worked hard through thousands of years to formulate through apostles and prophets the truth of the Bible, so that any distortion of truth is a work against the work of God.
3. While one little harmless distortion of truth may further a minsitry as a gimmick to attract to a popular ministry, any trifling with truth is like a trifly with Jesus Himself who is the incarnate “way, truth, and life”.
III. The 7 major and deadly distortions of the truth of the Bible today that have generated the Christian fables of the falling away.
1. The Pentecostal Problem that tries to substitute unknown tongues for known tongues on the day of Pentecost, that has the nerve to preach “you must be baptized in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues” which is clearly impossible based on the word of God in I Corinthians 14. The gift of I Corinthians 14 is “save unknown tongues for private devotions, and speak, pray, and preach in public worship ONLY in known tongues.” Now, how can there be any public evidence of a practice that is to be done in the prayer closet.
Sorry Swaggerts that is a lie and the evidence of a lying tongue. Which is a shame as Jimmy Swaggert must be counted among the 7 great evangelist of America, and begs the question if in the household of God there are vessels to honor and dishonor, and verssels of silver, gold, wood, and clay; therefore can a vessel be simultaneously both wood and clay and silver and gold. Well, obvious it is even like Balaam was a prophet of God that was used to mislead the children of Israel.
2. The Christian fable of self-indulgence is the most popular fable of the falling away we see today as preached by the talented so-called “pastor” of Lakewood who has accumulated millions with his best selling books. Obviously, the world is with him, and worldly Christians.
Self-indulgence is the opposite Christian fable of the sound doctrine of “love not the world”. During this day and time in Osteen’s preaching and books, we see it more in the forbidden “pride of life” than even of the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes. He does it so slick and with a smile, and how to win friends and influence people, that you do not realize that it is an almost complete violation of I John, and once again we see in the household of God a mixing of wood and clay with silver and gold.
3. The Christian fable of the “seared conscience” of I Timothy where the Vatican so proud that they have historical continuity all the way back to the original churches of the first century, fails to face up to the reality that they lost continuing with Christ about mid history of 1000 A.D., about the same time as they commanded the unsound doctrines of abstaining from good meats and forbidding priests and others to marry. Here, you see a deadly and destructive fable that has lead to obvious harm today in the raping of children and women in the household of God.
4. That is about the catholic wing of the church body today known as Christianity, yet the Protestants are equally guilty of the promotion of Christian fables, for example the SBC, once the largest Protestant denomination in the world a few years ago split into 3 denominations and so created an atmosphere among brethren of discord that it destroyed the careers and reputations of many brethren, the primary cause of the admited warfare among brethren was and is the Christian fabe of a secret rapture.
5. The Christian fable of the doctrine and practice of Balaam and Korah found its way in the first century 7 churches of Asia Minor, and which also during the takeover of the SBC was a common practice in local SBC church to run off and destroy the reputations and careers of faithful pastors of many years, simply because these pastors preached and believed doctrines contrary to groups in the church operating with a motivation of “our of their own desires”, like they did not want to hear the Bible on divorce and they did not want to be considered as second class citizens, unable to take the office of a deacon.
6. The last two deadly Christian fables in the church today you recognize more readily” (1) the false doctrines of Messianic Judaism that strives to do what the Pastor James and the Great Jerusalem conference forbad, that of trying to combine Christian faith with keeping the works of the law and regulations that were nailed to the cross at the atonement of Christ; and (2) the false gospel of prospertity that has taken over the Christian churches of America today, which is nothing less than the old Gospel of Wealth and the corollary of success of American Thought.
III. The end goal of this message/blog: how do we correlate the 7 deadly sins of Proverbs 6 with the 7 destructive Christian fables of today enhancing the falling away.
1. “A proud look” of Proverbs 6:17 obviously with the use of a form of pride correlates with the fable of self-indulgence in particular the forbidden “pride of life” that comes with a love of the world.
2. “A lying tongue” gets it clue among the 7 deadly Christian fables with the use of the word tongue. You know what is coming next the fable today of substitute in public worship unknown tongues for known tongues. The false doctrinal statement “baptism with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues” is a LIE, can not be so based on I Corinthians 14, and fruther based on that same chapter shows Bible ignorance that disqualifies the Swaggerts from experts in Bible Exposition. Never has “we carry our treasure in earthern vessels” meant so much as does the obvious silver and gold gift of evangelism being mixed with a false wood and clay claim of Bible expositor.
3. “Hands that shed innocent blood” is difficult as it is shown in two Christian fables, that of the Balaam and Korah doctrine that kills the reputation and careers of faithful long time pastors, and the takeover of the SBC that not only split it into 3 denominations but also destroyed the careers of reputations of Christian men much more silver and gold than the wood and clay of Charles Stanley, Adrian Rogers, and W. A. Criswell. Both of these Christian fables were taking placing at the same time, the takeover at the top denominational level that was motivated largely by the Christian fable of the secret rapture, and at the local church level in the running off of faithful pastors, the errors of Balaam and Korah.
4. “A heart that devises wicked plans” is also hard to correlate with one single Christian fable, as this was the sin of the Vatican mid history with the seared conscience of devised the wicked pans of commanded to abstain from meats and the forbidding of marriage, this was also the sin of the Protestant SBC that set down and planned the takeover the convention with a devised 10 year plan to place the Presidents and clean out the rest of the denominational brethren from there.
5. “Feet that are swift in running to evil”, and once again we think of both the Christian fable of the Balaam and Korah false doctrine and the Christian fable of the secret rapture that split the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC).
6. “A false witness who speaks lies”, even as we have trouble distinguishing the second deadly sin from this sixth deadly sin of also lies, so it is hard to isolate the correlation to a single Christian fable, but that is the nature of sin. We think of what Jesus said about the falling away, “Because sin will abound, the love of many will wax cold’. And that is the nature of the present great apostasy called the falling away in the church: we did not realize how bad it was until we got down to the correlation of 7 dead sins with 7 dangerous Christian fables.
It is hardly any different from the 7 churches of Asia Minor of the first century Christianity, it is only that during the great apostasy called the Falling away of Jesus and the Bible, the Fables and the sins are much more prevalent. If we had time, we probably to correlate the major sin of each of the 7 churches with the 7 dead sins and the 7 destructive Christian fables.
7. “And one who sows discord among brethren” happens so often with the bad practices of teaching and preaching Christian fables that it permeats and is a foundation among all of them, there are two outstanding characteristics of the Falling Away besides those of II Timothy 4:3,4: (1) a lack of love among Christian brethren”; and (2) the spreading of sin in the churches like wild fire.
Why must we ask ourselves are all these fables overwhelming us in the Christian church today, and the answer is so obvious we fail to admit it. We are head over heels in the great apostasy called the falling away, it is nasty, sinful, and deadly. The many churches today are like beautiful tombstones and monuments to the dead, inside they are full of dead men’s bones. The buildings look so beautiful, sturdy, polished and attractive, yet we see the sins and the Christian fables inside. Do we give up on them; no, but we practice “avoid certain church members” of II Timothy, hoping that all the church members are not “this sort” of II Timothy. You see the choice of the Holy Spirit and the Apostle Paul was the best phrase, called the Falling Away, which must happen before the Second Coming, and don’t try to distort that doctrine also.
“Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God. Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?”
(II Thessalonians 2:1-5)