The Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ One. (PTB 20 of 48)
Introduction (Preaching and Christian Doctrine)
Mary Fairchild for Learn Religions writes online:
“In the last 100 years, the number of Christians in the world has quadrupled from about 600 million in 1910 to more than 2 billion presently. Today, Christianity is the world’s largest religious group. According to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, in 2010, there were 2.2 billion Christians of all ages living in the world.”
Goodness, how it must gall all this Harvard, Yale, and Princeton gnostics and atheists that all their magnificent treatises to destroy the faith once for all delivered to the saints has been like a drop in the bucket of over 2.2 billion Christians that are living in the world. Most of these Christians will gather next Sunday, April 21, 2019 to celebrate the Resurrection on Easter of the Lord Jesus Christ, and there is nothing Mary Pagels of Princeton the gnostic can do about that.
Mary Fairchild, a full-time Christian minister, writer, and editor of two Christian anthologies, including “Stories of Cavalry” continues about these Christians that will gather Sunday dressed in their finest to celebrate the Risen Christ: “In 2015, Christians still comprised the largest religious group in the world (with 2.3 billion adherents), representing nearly a third (31%) of the total global population.” While the world may enjoy the entertainment of Tom Hanks in the DaVinci Code, which magnifies heretical doctrines from the Gnostic Gospel of Philip that Mary Magdalene was the wife of Jesus Christ and all Christianity is undermined, millions will celebrate Jesus of Nazareth this Easter like a rock of faith that can not be moved by dissenters.
All these intellectual doubters like Mary Pagels and the Jesus Seminar must watch many of the world’s religious celebrations of the Risen Christ in amazement and disgust for they really thought they had made some impression on the world to destroy the fame and the Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. And in spite of all these efforts for Eastern Religions to takeover America and the world like Eastern Lightning with the Chinese lady that claims to be Jesus Christ, the world wide Christian missionaries of the Resurrected Christ just keep going about their daily work to spread the Good News that Christ is alive! Mary Fairchild continues:
“In the not evangelized world, there are 20,500 full-time Christian workers and 10,200 foreign missionaries. In the evangelized non-Christian world, there are 1.31 million full-time Christian workers. In the Christian world, there are 306,000 foreign missionaries to other Christian lands. Also, 4.19 million full-time Christian workers (95%) work within the Christian world. And on Bible Distribution, approximately 78.5 million Bibles are distributed globally per year. And on the Number of Christian Books in Print, there are approximately 6 million books about Christianity in print today.”
NOTE: You did not miss any sessions on Preaching Thru the Bible since the last you saw was PTB #3 on the top topic of the Living God of the Living and now this is PTB #20 on the Resurrection. You will in the next four days in honor of Easter and the Resurrected Christ receive 4 messages, PTB 20-23, on Resurrection. Perhaps this would be a good time for a reminder of the Top 12 Topics of the Bible which come from SunGrist based the exegetical outline of the OT according to the NT, as follows: (You might consider this a subject outline of the complete Bible which it is based on the exegetical outline of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation.)
Subject Outline of the Bible.
- The Living God of the Living
- Righteousness of God and Man
3. The Composite Witness of the Bible
4. God, Man and the Son of Man
5. The Resurrection
6. Wisdom From God
7. The Gospel
8. Listening More Important Than Sacrifice
9. What Happened to the Jews as the Chosen nation?
10. The Salvation of God
11. The New King of Israel
12. The Living God Wants Others to Live
5-1: What God did for Christ and Us!
What God did for Christ the firstborn and therefore what He also does for all that will believe in Christ as the secondborns!
- Psalm 16:8-11: God is at my right hand; I feel secure and realize that honor will be achieved; the pains of the flesh are assuaged by hope; God will not leave my soul in hell; and God will not allow His Holy One to see corruption in the grave; God will show me the path of everlasting life where in His Presence there is fullness of joy; and at His right hand there is pleasure forever.
NOTE: The only way Jesus could place the Father on His right hand and also be at the right hand of the Father is for the two to be facing in opposite directions which was true at the Crucifixion as Jesus became a curse for us!
- Acts 2:25: Listen again to the witness of the Apostle Peter as he preached on the first day of Pentecost after the historical coming of the Holy Spirit in power and fullness.
“Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know this Man, delivered up by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death. And God raised Him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held in its power. For David says of Him, ‘I was always beholding the Lord in my presence; For He is at my right hand, that I may not be shaken, Therefore my heart was glad and my tongue exulted; moreover my flesh also will abide in hope; because thou wilt not abandon my soul to hades, nor allow thy Holy One to undergo decay. Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; Thou wilt make me full of gladness with thy presence.” (Acts 2:22-28 NASV)
NOTE: Below is a Paraphrase on This Sermon from Peter
The Apostle Peters First Sermon was naturally on Jesus of Nazareth after he had explained what had been seen as manifestations of the historical coming of the Holy Spirit in power and fullness to take the place of Jesus on earth, Jesus immediately before having Ascended back to the right hand of God the Father. First what Peter had told them about the Coming of the Holy Spirit to take the place of Jesus with a quote and explanation from Joel 2:28-32 (Acts 2:14-21): These men who are speaking on other languages that so that all men present here can hear in their own language, are not drunk; but is that historical event predicted by the Prophet Joel. It is that at the beginning of the last days, in other words right now, God will pour out the fullness of His Spirit; and with this fullness of the Spirit will also come: (1) A more widespread and democratic knowledge of God through the widespread presence and power of this Spirit as young and old, servant and free, men and women receive the Spirit; (2) prophecy will also become more democratic as contrasted to the Prophets in the Bible who wrote Scriptures of the Apostles of the New Testament; (3) All this will happen between this beginning of the last days and the end of time when the old earth becomes the new earth as the sun and moon are turned into darkness at the end of time; and (4) The sole method of salvation from this beginning of last days to this end of time will be that
“Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Second what Peter told them about Jesus and salvation: God the Father gave His own testimony of witness to Jesus through miracles, wonders, and signs that obviously had to come from God and which Jesus performed as well as the voice that came from heaven at the baptism and transfiguration of Jesus. God did this in your midst, in the midst of Israel and in the First Century all Israel well knew. Yet Israel crucified Jesus on a tree, or cross, making Him a curse in the sight of God which was really the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God as we have seen predicted in the Old Testament long before the First Century A.D. God in order to complete salvation and the testimony to His own Son raised Jesus up from the dead. You see if He was His own Son, and He was, it was impossible that death and the grave could hold Him captive. And like David wrote in Psalms as a prediction of that which was to come and as a decree from God of what was already settled in heaven that remained to be fulfilled on earth was that God would not leave Christ’s soul in hell for more than three days, that He would not allow the physical body of Christ to suffer the corrupting influence of the grave, and that as the Firstborn He would be restored to life and the Presence of God.
5-2: What God Promises for Humanity.
What God will do for humanity during the period of time from the beginning of the last days after the Ascension of Christ and the end of time!
- Psalm 18:25 and Matthew 5:7: God will bless the merciful by giving them mercy Blessed are the merciful; for they shall obtain mercy. (KJV)
- Psalm 18:49 and Romans 15:9: God will spread the praise of His name and the name of Jesus among the Gentiles, another aspect of the democratic ways of God after the Coming of the Spirit in fullness.
5-3: Words From the Cross.
Now we are in a position to understand Jesus cry of “My God, my God why hast thou forsaken me ?” of Psalm 22:1 and Matthew 27:46.
- It is to be understood in the total context of Psalm 22 which starts with the Crucifixion of Jesus and the words of Jesus on the cross in 22:1 and ends in 22:28-31 with establishment of the kingdom of Christ on earth in its fullness.
- First we should realize that other portions of Psalm 22 relate ahead of time events about the crucifixion as they pierced the hands of Christ and as they cast lots for His garments: Psalm 22:16-18 and Matthew 27:35, also John 19:24.
- Psalm 22:22 and Hebrews 2:12: Both He, Christ, who does the sanctifying, or setting apart of Christian in salvation, and those sanctified, that is the Christians, has the same source from the One God the Father; and therefore Jesus as the Firstborn is not ashamed to call the second born Christians as brethren .
- So God the Father turned His back on Christ the Son was He was dying on the cross for the sins of the world, while Christ was being made a curse on the cross which a righteous God could not stand; and to that extent God the Father had to forsake Him for three days according to the plan that they had made in the counsels of eternity while Christ was on the cross being made a curse, and while Christ went to hell, the intermediary place after death for those who do not go immediately to heaven where He preached to the dead spirits.
5-4: Who Then Will See God and Be Saved?
- Those who are sensitive the Conscience of others as well as his own Christian Conscience, seeking their good as well as his own good: Psalm 24:1 and I Corinthians 10:26.
- Those who have received a legally declared purity of heart through justification by faith and an inward potential of purity of heart through the daily process of sanctification, and that will also become the pure of heart with complete redemption or glorification at the Second Coming of Christ: Psalm 24:3-5 and Matthew 5:8.
- Those who learn to love life and see longevity of life: Psalm 34:12-16 and I Peter 3:10-12.
- Those who do not forget faith in Christ and in the Crucifixion of Christ for salvation and righteousness: Psalm 34:19,20 and John 19:36; and Psalm 35:19 and John 15:25.
(1). In the crucifixion they hated Christ without a cause.
(2). Not a bone in Christ’s body was broken like the Passover Lamb, but rather when His side was pierced out flowed blood and water, the sign of death by a broken heart.
5-5: The Gospels and the Prophets.
The method of God the Father to make His own Mind clear to the world would be complete if it could get to the democratic level of New Testament prophets, the level of associates of Apostles like Dr. Luke and John Mark. It is easy to see how Jesus Himself as the Son of God and the very incarnate expression of the Mind and Character of God would in life, teachings, death, and resurrection express that Will of God. It is also possible to see how the Apostles of Jesus would continue that expression of the Life and Teachings of Jesus, alias the Gospel, both in the preaching and teaching which they did and in the writing of New Testament books which were Word of God that became in the formulation of the Bible Canon what we call the Bible of 66 books. Yet the expression of God’s Character would not be complete until it got down to the very democratic level where the average citizen lives. A giant step was made in this direction when two associates of Paul, Dr. Luke and John Mark, wrote books of the New Testament!
Beyond that just one more step in New Testament democracy was needed, really a simultaneously great step, as the Character or Word of God became with the preaching and teachings of Jesus as well as the Apostles, “living epistles, known and read of all men”. This way the Word of God which is more than pages, print, and ideas was translated into fleshly and living epistles of human spirits and consciences.
“Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men; Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.” (II Cor. 3:2,3)
The Word of God moves forward not so much with the defense of the Bible as the Word of God, and as inerrantly given in the sense that the fundamentalists claim, as it does by the Word of God being incorporated as living epistles in the human heart of consciences! The best defense of the Bible is another living epistle.
You as usual will want to free download this message/blog at the SunGrist website of: